Renewables Business Assurance Manager
Location: Remote working with occasional travel when requested
Duration: 14 month contract
Business Unit: Commercial & Finance
The Renewables Risk & Assurance team provides support and oversight to the Renewables business to assure the timely and compliant delivery of business objectives. As part of this role, the team provides a second line appraisal function within Renewables to examine and evaluate the internal control framework and, thereby, identify opportunities to further assure objective delivery.
The Business Assurance Managers within the team are responsible for effective and timely execution of risk-based assessment and consultation and advice activities as defined within the Renewables annual integrated assurance programme, providing constructive appraisal, insight and challenge in order to work with the business to identify opportunities for controls enhancement.
Given the team size and need for role flexibility, Business Assurance Managers will also be capable of undertaking activities in non-specialism areas of the business, conduct on-going assurance monitoring and support, assist with forward planning activities, contribute to the team's quality control processes and provide subject matter expertise to improvement projects.
1. Supporting the Integrated Assurance Programme Development
Based on specialist insight and previous assessment learnings, support the Head of Risk & Assurance in the development of an annual Integrated Assurance programme. The objective of the programme is be to support the business in understanding how processes are used to deliver on business objectives while meeting associated obligations and to identify where associated risks to successful delivery are not appropriately mitigated, thereby identifying opportunities for enhanced control.
2. Lead the Delivery of Assigned Assurance Activities
Effectively scope and plan risk-based assessments and consultation and advice activities, as assigned by the Head of Risk & Assurance, throughout the business and on occasion with joint venture partners or strategic suppliers. Through engagement and communication with the relevant business area, agree the business processes within review scope and, using process mapping and other relevant techniques, work with relevant business stakeholders to develop a clear understanding of the 'As-Is' state of controls. Using a risk-based approach, build on the understanding established through critical challenge, auditing of resultant outputs and further engagement with key stakeholders to identify areas of concern and therefore enhancement opportunity. Ensure all aspects of the activities are captured in clear, concise and actionable outputs.
3. Delivering identified Improvements
Based on the outputs from delivered assessment activities, work with the Risk & Assurance Improvement Manager and Change Manager, to identify the most effective means to deliver the identified enhancement opportunities including delivery solely by business stakeholders, support from the Assurance Manager to deliver the improvement or establishment of an Improvement Project to be driven by the Improvement Manager with SME input from the relevant Assurance manager. Based on this assessment, contribute to the delivery of enhancements to the business processes as identified, providing regular updates on progress and delivering to agreed schedule.
4. Consultancy and Advisory Support
On request, undertake consultancy or advisory type assignments providing guidance on matters such as effective risk management, compliance best practice or obligation applicability. Support the Head of Risk & Assurance by advising on professional standards and best practices in internal control and specifically commercial and finance auditing and assurance.
5. Reporting and Continuous Improvement
Support the Risk & Assurance Performance & Reporting Manager through the provision of timely reporting metrics aligned with review delivery and control enhancement progress. Provide further input as required on the quality of the Risk & Assurance team's processes to ensure on-going continuous improvement within the Risk & Assurance team.
6. Risk and Obligation Horizon Scanning
Work with the Regulation Team to identify potential or agreed future changes in business obligations in order to provide foresight to the business as well as to support Regulation in influencing the scope of such changes. Similarly, work with the Risk Manager and other members of the Risk & Assurance Team to support the business in identifying opportunities for improvement in future objectives and emerging risk areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
· A detailed understanding of the Renewables business, including strategy and objectives or of a similar business
· Understanding of the structure of the UK and Ireland energy industry
· Understanding of the structure of system of internal control or similar
· Excellent Knowledge and awareness of the Regulatory and Legislative obligations applicable to the Renewables business
· Knowledge and understanding of strategy, Principal risks and key metrics
· Good understanding of key policies and related control procedures
· Fully qualified Commercial & Finance auditor/experienced professional with 3+ year's relevant post qualification experience or qualified from having significant relevant company/industry and relevant up to date experience in a similar Assurance role.
· Detailed understanding of risk-based auditing processes and risk management frameworks along with commercial and financial processes / systems
· Data analysis and interrogation capabilities
· High proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
Personal Attributes / Competencies
· Able to operate objectively demonstrating professionalism and integrity
· Analytical mindset with ability to challenge
· Excellent communication skills including high standard of formal report writing and presentation skills
· Ability to build relationships across all levels of the organisation
· Strong negotiation skills. Ability to influence the implementation of effective internal control and business improvements
· Good business acumen
· Focused on continuous improvement and adding value
· Well organised with ability to balance a varied and challenging workload in order to prioritise and deliver within deadlines. Delivers on tasks effectively, produces high quality outputs in a timely fashion
· Adaptive to changing objectives and priorities
· Flexible approach to work with willingness to travel as required within a dynamic working environment.
If interested please apply within.