Our client, an international IPP, has a current opportunity for a Construction Contracts Manager on a contract basis (24-months). The position will be based in Cape Town.
The Construction Contracts Manager is responsible for contractual administration of the Project contracts and their associated documents.
Under EPC Co Director supervision, the Construction Contracts Manager will provide Project Managers and Engineering Manager with oversight and advisory input into project specific contract management activities during implementation, and act as a focal point for contract related matters throughout all phases of projects.
For that objective, its role comprises of, inter alia:
- Before Financial Close, ensure that the relevant clauses in the various contracts are aligned, and advise before contract signature how to optimise efficiency in the implementation phase
- Lead and direct all contractual aspects of executing the project including risk assessment.
- Having detail knowledge of the Power Purchase Agreement, EPC Contract, O&M Agreement and various Project Agreements/permits/consents and manage the stakeholders effectively in line with the contracts.
- Participate in the upstream contracting process to ensure an optimum adjustment of contractual commitments, and incentives on quality, deadlines, milestones, costs, risks and opportunities; in particular, challenges the scope and the target market value.
- Ensure that the schedule, deliverables, terms and conditions and technical limits contained in the contractor's commitment scope are clear and shared with the contractors and contribute to the identification of the Project risks and opportunities related to the activities.
- Enforce the contract provisions (application of contractual mechanisms, compliance with mutual obligations, etc.) contributing to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the contract and exercises ongoing due diligence as regards any related risks.
- Contribute jointly with Work Package Leaders to steering the physical progress, based on a reporting mechanism and indicators previously agreed with the contractor, and to a periodic re-estimation of work remaining to be done to secure the cost on completion.
- Manage any potential changes in the contractor's commitment scope. Processes and ensure the traceability of exchanges and contract-related events for the purpose of anticipating any necessary adaptations of the contract and compiling evidence to defend the company's interests as needed in case of claims.
- Be effective in responding to the correspondences from various counter parties and ensure the interest of the Project is protected.
- Actively monitors the project progress in line with the contract schedule and ensure the parties adhere to the program.
- Draft the execution assessment report and organise the sharing of lessons learned from the contract.
- Verify the progress payment claims of the contractors along with the Owner's Engineer and process the payments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Engineering and/or Construction Law is desirable.
- Minimum 7 Years of Experience working with large complex projects in the Renewable Energy industry, preferably in the REIPPPP.
- Professional Certification in Contracts Management is recommended.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in all facets of Contract Management within a project.
- Ability to understand and analyse the details of non-contractual matters such as engineering, cost control, planning and construction in order to provide relevant contractual support.
- A collaborative, solutions-oriented approach and strong communication skills is required.