We have a current opportunity for a Development Engineer on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Cape Town. For further information about this position please apply.
Development Engineer (Utility Scale)
Form part of an established team working for a leading IPP, you will be focusing on supporting the business development team to develop and construct energy projects across Africa.
Your core focus will be renewable energy projects for wind or solar and may incorporate energy storage systems, thermal generation, or other hybrid technologies.
* Guidance in all project development activities including yield estimates, project optimisation, technology analysis, contract development, tendering, contracting, due diligence, cost estimation and construction monitoring. The role will also be required to manage third party contractors and contracts.
* Development and use of modelling tools including PVSyst, WAsP, WindPro, CAD, GIS, HOMER and in-house software,
* Development of accurate cost and yield estimates for use in financial models,
* Interpretation of project documents (PPA, JDA, GSA, MOU, ESIA etc) and incorporation of requirements into contractors' documents (primarily EPC and O&M Contracts),
* Management of site technical investigations including ground investigations and grid assessments,
* Drafting of technical specifications
* Working with the business development project teams to manage all technical project inputs,
* Manage the optimisation of project sites and technology,
* Assessment and mitigation of site risks,
* Manage contractor tendering and negotiation processes
* Undertake due diligence processes including site visits and assessments
* Manage Lender's and Owner's Engineers and the associated relationships, communication and information flow
* Management of project development and construction schedules
* Manage external advisors and consultants contracted for provision of technical services
* Participate in planning and selection of resourcing for construction management staff
* Monitoring of project construction activities
* Maintaining strong interfaces with all project disciplines including legal, E&S, finance and HR
* Strong commercial acumen
* Strong negotiation skills
* Ability to develop and understand project schedules
* Ability to manage teams, advisors and contractors
* Ability to clearly present technical concepts
* Capacity to extract the most out of software tools
* A good communicator
* Creative and innovative thinking
* Ability to work through complex issues to find an optimal solution
* Ability to work across multiple disciplines such as finance, environmental and social and legal
* BSc/BEng/BTech Electrical or Mechanical
* Renewables industry experience holding a position Development Engineer, a Developer, Consultant or Site Representative
* Experienced in developing and negotiating contracts including PPA's, construction contracts, grid connection agreements
* Experience in renewable project design and optimisation
* Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of Lender's, Owner's Engineers, Lender's Engineer and contractors
* Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
* Fluent in French would be beneficial
* The role requires travel extensively across Africa and often to remote greenfield and construction sites.