We have a current opportunity for a Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) Consultant on a permanent basis. The position can be based in Cape Town, Johannesburg, or Durban.
- Delivering local and international (Africa) Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) projects,
- Assessment Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA) and E&S risks in corporate mergers and acquisitions against Lender standards.
- Engagement with Clients and other stakeholders and providing support and guidance on critical E&S aspects affecting their investment decisions.
- Participation in marketing and business development activities, and development of ESDD proposals.
- Where required, provide a support role to the delivery of ESIAs in line with South African and international lender standards.
- Undertake permit compliance audits in terms of South African legal requirements.
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
- Role model standards for SHEQ performance and behaviour consistent with the company's health, safety, environmental and quality vision and policies by influencing those around you.
- Contributing to the identification of SHEQ risks and driving processes to achieve Zero Harm.
- Embracing, displaying and promoting the company values and ensuring a safe working environment is maintained at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
An Honours or higher degree in a relevant environmental and/or social discipline.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND GENERIC SKILLS:
- 5 years or more experience as an environmental and/or social specialist operating in the financial sector with involvement in local and international (Africa) ESDD and supplementary ESIA assignments.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to pragmatically apply the international ESG performance standards (IFC, AfDB, EBRD Performance Standards, ILO Core Conventions, EPIV, and the World Bank General and sector specific EHS Guidelines etc.)
- Demonstrable project experience in several of the following sectors: conventional and renewable power generation and transmission, road and rail infrastructure, ports and marine infrastructure, pharmaceutical, mining, oil and gas, and industrial manufacturing facilities.
- Knowledgeable in a wide range of environmental and social sub-disciplines (i.e. air quality, ecological impact, occupational health and safety, resettlement planning, labour practices etc.)
- Experience in Sub Sahara Africa (outside of South Africa) and ability to travel is required.
- Strong technical report writing skills, producing professional reports in fluent English.
- Strong project management skills.
- Good time management and ability to handle tight project deadlines.