Our client, an International Renewable Energy Developer, is currently on the hunt for an Environmental Manager to join their Cape Town team on a permanent basis.
The Environmental Manager plays an important role in the preservation of the environment. They will be responsible for managing environmental aspects for the implementation of projects in South Africa in line with South African regulations, IFC Performance Standards, EBRD Performance Requirements and the client's Health, Safety, Environment and Social (HSES) Standards.
Key Responsibilities include:
- To address and supervise EIA requirements;
- To manage all conditions set out in the Environmental Authorisation and EMPr;
- To supervise third party / subcontractors in the maintenance of monitoring programs and environmental management;
- To manage all data that comes from environmental monitoring activity;
- To evaluate test results and make recommendations for maintaining compliance with local norms and standards, as well as IFC standards;
- Coordinating with the Site Manager, H&S Manager and Social Manager to ensure conformity with the environmental and social management plan;
- Inspect construction sites frequently for environmental management plan implementation and compliance;
- To inform the client's team for every incident and to determine the management plan in order to reduce impact on the environment;
- To reduce the impact on local environment through pollution control, implement plans for controlling wastes, conservation of flora and fauna, removal of hazardous substances and hydrocarbons, management of water in accordance with the legislated and contractual requirements;
- Overview and coordinate environmental operations in order to ensure permit renewals and regulatory compliance;
- To inform and monitor Contractors with respect to environmental obligations;
- Provide training and assistance to the Contractors in terms of environmental management;
- To keep documents / permits / licences relating to environmental policies and regulation up to date;
- Ensure proper reporting to National, Provincial and Municipal stakeholders.
- Degree in Environmental Management or similar;
- At least 5-7 years of experience working in a similar position;
- Familiarity with the development and implementation of Lender's E&S Requirements;
- Fluent in English;
- Strong grasp or fluency in other local languages is a plus.
Key Skills -
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to and understanding of the aims, values, principles, policies and procedures of the company
- Commitment to utilizing participatory approaches
- Demonstrable ability in report writing
- A good understanding and/or knowledge of environmental management, environmental monitoring, compliance auditing, contractor management
- Group facilitation and coaching skills
- A good sense of organization and time management
- Ability to demonstrate a sense of respect, listening and interaction with local project stakeholders