We have a current opportunity for a GIS Specialist on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Cape Town. For further information about this position please apply.
Launch a career with one of South Africa's pioneering renewable energy companies that is a leading renewable energy development company.
You will be part of a team that is developing 5GW+ of renewable energy projects in South and Southern Africa.
As a seasoned GIS practitioner, you will provide project development support services to projects throughout the project development cycle, from early-stage prospecting, acquisition, planning and development ensuring that projects are properly planned, designed and permitted.
- Provision of all relevant data sets and information to aid project developers with decision-making on project developments
- Tracking project development and ensuring the database and all data sets (asset registers included) are up to date, accessible and properly stored on the company data management system
- Working closely with environmental and other service providers during the BA/EIA processes to ensure alignment on project information, securing updated information and critical project data to aid in later advanced design of projects example site development plans
- Project and stakeholder management support, including liaising with landowners and other interested and affected parties where needed, constantly updating and developing own skills, knowledge, experience and exposure in the renewable energy industry
- Produce weekly/month project progress reports for senior management.
- Site identification and detailed mapping (whether greenfield or established projects): location, and constraints identification
- Early-stage screening, defining buildable area footprints and basic site layouts; Early stage, high level resource assessment, site viability and pre-feasibility assessments, in support of the project developers in the field
- Assisting project developers with detailed mapping in support of land securement contracts (e.g. servitudes, way leaves, grid route mapping etc)
- Assisting with resource measurement campaigns, equipment siting locations, procurement of resource measurement equipment and monitoring installations progress, as well as liaising with service providers
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years working with GIS and mapping to advanced level.
- Three (3) to five (5) years' experience in energy development preferably working to develop GIS work for renewable energy or related projects.
- Advanced competence in working in various GIS Software QGIS, ArcGIS, ArcMap etc.
- Solid skills and understanding of data capture, QA and management and producing advanced mapping.
- Beneficial to manage resource assessments campaigns through to preliminary site resource assessment using software such as Wasp, SolarGIS, WindPro, Windfarm or similar
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite in particular ability to use Excel for project tracking.
- B Degree (or equivalent) in GIS and Remote Sensing, or Geography and Environmental Sciences, or GeoSciences or equivalent or Diploma in Geo-Information and Technology (GISc&T) with a strong foundation in GIS is essential.
- Diploma or qualification in project management preferred and certification with the PMI or PMSA recommended.
- Valid drivers license essential