Do you want to be part of a long-standing team, who are experts in their field, where no two days are the same and where possibilities to develop new skills and experiences are around every corner? Our client is passionate about creating a friendly, open and inclusive working environment where individuals are supported to excel in their area of expertise. They are continually seeking out new ways to improve their business and are firm believers that everyone should enjoy what they do.
What they do… They are a technically driven business with over 30 years of expertise; engineering and supporting high integrity systems where failure simply isn't an option. These can range from small upgrades through to fully integrated turnkey solutions, covering all aspects of technology from control room to field devices. They supply the latest technology to various locations throughout the UK and Europe with their prestigious clients predominantly being within Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), Highways, Airports and Power sectors.
If you are a keen problem solver with excellent communication skills, looking for a challenging yet rewarding career in engineering, look no further. We have an opportunity for an enthusiastic and ambitious systems engineer to join them on their mission to seamlessly deliver end-to-end control systems.
What they need from you.
A team player with a resourceful and tenacious drive to complete tasks and tests efficiently and thoroughly. You will work as a Junior Commissioning Engineer within the control system industry having some of the following skills; we do not expect you to have experience in all these areas and for the right candidate on the job training and mentoring will be provided to fill any skills gaps you may have. You will work as part of the project team with support from the development engineers during the commissioning stages.
- Checking installation of equipment (by others) is to correct standard prior to starting testing. Including: verifying installation against the installation drawing and marking up any differences; checking termination of cables; creating an installation snag list; checking correct ID's and labels are used; correcting any errors with install prior to testing.
- Performing testing of system according to Installation and Commissioning Test document.
- PLC data input tests including verification of: operation of 24v I/O to and from plant and field devices into PLCs; data to and from PLC connected to plant and field devices using a serial interface; data to and from PLC connected to networked devices. i.e. ethernet, modbus, etc; PLC functional control and monitoring of plant and field devices.
- Issue tracking and correction: Record any test failures in our Issue Tracker software; fault find and correct any simple PLC code (signal inversion, pulse stretching, etc.) or wiring issues.
- Perform client testing according to test documents, including: Repeating some functional commissioning tests; Testing integrated system functionality; Failure scenarios; Attend site progress meetings, toolbox talks etc; Provide professional representation of the business especially during client facing test conditions.
- Produce documentation such as: RAM's; test documentation; weekly progress reports; record all issues through issue tracker software.
- Qualified to HND level or above in electrical or control engineering.
- Have some proven work experience and be familiar with electrical infrastructure and electrical principals.
- Have a full UK driving licence
- Have no criminal convictions due to security clearances required by airport authorities.
- This is a field-based role covering the UK and (occasionally Europe) and is ideally suited for someone based in the Midlands or the South with a flexible approach to travelling and working away from home.
There is plenty of room for growth and progression which is proven by all our management team beginning their career with us as students.
What they offer in return.
In addition to a generous salary, you can expect to receive some other great benefits too.
- 33 floating holidays to take when you like with your entitlement increasing by an additional 2 days every 5 years.
- Paid overtime.
- Company performance related bonus.
- Wellbeing benefit - a monthly instalment made in addition to your salary to contribute towards anything that makes you happy.
- Pension scheme.
- Anniversary celebrations - It is important to them that they celebrate the commitment and value people have brought to our business over the years.
- Social events - If there is one thing about our client, it is that they love to get social, so this is a big part of their culture.
- Hybrid working - If the pandemic taught us anything it's that we don't need to be in the office 5 days a week, every week, helping towards a not only a positive work life balance but a healthier planet.
- Flexible working giving you the ability to finish at 1pm on Fridays.