Pre-Construction Manager / Senior Estimator
Location: San Diego or remotely in US
The position will be responsible for managing and overseeing all the Pre-Construction aspects of Utility-Scale wind and solar renewable energy as well as high-voltage transmission lines and energy storage. This will include completing cost analysis and budgetary estimates for the engineering, procurement and construction of the renewable generation facilities as well as transmission and energy storage assets across the world and managing the preliminary engineering for the projects.
This position will also be responsible for managing and developing Request for Proposal's (RFP's) that will be issued to potential Contractors for the competitive bidding process. The office location will be in San Diego, CA along with Pattern's Engineering & Construction Group. This position will require close coordination and constant communication with the development and constructions teams located throughout the world.
- Provide Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) cost estimates, commercial and technical due diligence and support of solar, wind, transmission and energy storage projects to the development team during development phase.
- Review developer construction related documents for completeness and compliance with utility interconnect agreements, power purchase agreements, land lease agreements, environmental permits, and ensure good industry practice.
- Coordinate with development team to understand the geotechnical, civil, electrical, and major equipment supplier specifications for project estimates and RFP's.
- Manage preliminary engineering to support preconstruction development and contractor section phase
- Responsible for leading the RFP process, in conjunction with the Capital Procurement Manager, with qualified contractors and vendors so bids can be accurately evaluated.
- Responsible for evaluating thorough comparison metrics to determine most commercially and technically responsible bidders. Must ensure RFP's establish basis of scope and pricing from contractor/supplier.
- Develop construction project cashflows and milestone completion dates
- Must be capable of developing a procurement plan on how to build and schedule the project
- Works with the project stakeholders to review and approve components of the bid package, submittals and decisions through the process.
- Prepare and present pre-RFP meeting and review process with project development team
- Manage the turnover process from preconstruction to the construction execution team
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree with preference in engineering and/or construction management
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 2-5 years progressive responsible experience in the renewable power industry with significant wind and/or solar energy experience.
- Direct experience with project and engineering management for wind and/or solar is preferred. Field and estimating experience are a plus.
- Knowledge of basic engineering concepts associated with renewable energy facilities (geotechnical, civil, structural, electrical)
- Knowledge in engineering and cost estimating of utility-scale energy storage projects a plus.
- Knowledge in engineering and cost estimating of medium voltage and high voltage work a plus. This includes but is not limited to, collections systems, substations and transmission lines
- Ability to maintain a cost analysis database that allows for evaluation of past project build costs to effectively estimate future build costs in a targeted market
- Ability to prioritize and resolve multiple issues on multiple projects under demanding schedule constraints.
- Knowledge of trending constructability costs in the wind and solar market
- Must be proficient in typical software applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project or Primivera. All other estimating software a plus.
- Must be willing and capable of traveling worldwide.