Location: Houston, TX
The position will have responsibility for supporting all aspects of generation interconnection, delivery strategies, strategic transmission development, acquisition and analysis for company's renewable energy development portfolio. The successful applicant will implement these strategies by supporting assessment of interconnection and transmission opportunities, preparing input datasets for various analysis leading to interconnection request submissions, and managing the Company's overall transmission positions. The position will also support analytical datasets that inform Pattern's view and forecast of congestion on various transmission systems throughout North America.
- Support development, maintenance, and update of internal databases required to support analysis for identifying and assessing new interconnection and transmission opportunities.
- Assist in evaluation of potential project sites based on powerflow data, queue evaluation, delivery options, and physical transmission access.
- Support the interconnection process for Pattern projects, from assessment of interconnection options, filing of necessary applications, evaluation of utility technical studies, and negotiation of interconnection agreements.
- Support assessments of transmission-related market dynamics, such as LMP pricing, nodal basis risks, congestion risks, etc. by maintaining data for commercially available SCED tool.
- Thoroughly and concisely document and communicate interconnection status to internal Project Developers during project development and financing.
- Assist Power Marketing in communicating interconnection position(s), status, timeline, and congestion risk for Pattern Projects to potential counterparties.
- Track interconnection deadlines for Pattern Interconnection positions
- Ability to utilize Python, C++ or R for automation processes and analyses of datasets
- Ability to work with and manage technical consultants
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering is required with emphasis on Power Systems Knowledge of powerflow concepts and SCED is preferred.
Required Work Experience
A minimum of 0-2 years in the electrical industry. Experience with software programming tools for developing and analysing large databases. Transmission Planning experience with a utility, RTO/ISO, or consulting firm is important. Knowledge of Power Markets and production cost modelling software is a plus. Direct experience in wind and solar farm design or construction and field experience is a plus.
- Must be willing and able to travel - up to 20%
- Ability to prioritize requests.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, FERC transmission tariffs and RTO/ISO interconnection processes
- EIT encouraged.
- Experience developing power flow base cases and running either PowerWorld, PSSE or PSLF with the ability to evaluate results
- Must be proficient in typical software applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
- Preferred Technical Skills
- Willingness to learn commercial Powerflow tools and perform analysis of Transmission Systems using PTI MUST and/or TARA
- Experience with or desire to learn Promod, U-Plan, and/or Probe.