We have a current opportunity for a VPP Project Manager on a Contract basis. The position will be based in Cape Town. For further information about this position please apply.
A very exciting opportunity at one of the front runners in the renewable space to join them as the VPP Project Manager. If you are someone with extensive energy sector experience to coordinate and manage the interfaces between multidisciplinary construction contracts concurrently.
- Contribute to the successful and safe delivery of the Engineering, Procurement and Construction of the Project, for its client, namely the Project Company, owner of the asset.
- Successful coordination of the different contract(s) to ensure a successful project in terms of safety, budget, planning, and quality with a specific focus and responsibility on the BESS, the Energy Management System (EMS) and Hybrid Power Plant controllers (HPP).
- Ensure the works are executed in accordance with the contracts in place, with the project specifications and in compliance with construction good practices, local rules and standards. The VPP Project Manager will coordinate and supervise all technical activities, including mechanical, electrical, I&C and civil engineering.
- Involved in the key decisions related to the execution of the mechanical, electrical, civil works packages, in particular when it comes to cost, schedule, change orders, invoices, quality and HSE.
- Building adequate coordination, processes, reporting and method within the technical team and with technical stakeholders (SPV, EPC Engineer, Owner's Engineer, RETEC, ESKOM and local communities).
Accountable for the decisions related to the contractors and subcontractors, in particular but not limited to:
- Participation in the upstream contracting process to ensure an optimum alignment of contractual commitments and incentives on quality, deadlines, milestones, costs, risks and opportunities.
- Management of the contracts in place at Financial Close through the Construction Phase for the BESS, EMS and HPP.
- Represents the EPC Company with regards to all aspects of the Engineering, Procurement and Construction for the BESS, EMS and HPP contracts.
- Final validation of all key technical and construction documents and decisions for the BESS, EMS and HPP contracts.
- Identify all interface areas and document all project interfaces for the entire project including PV, TSIA, BOP Wind, BESS, EMS and HPP Contracts.
- Liaise as necessary with contractors and consultants to manage interfaces and interface risk.
- Monitor status of interface matrices and provide regular updates to package managers
- Organise and chair interface meetings
- Assist the EPC Co team to perform its functions and obligations pursuant to, and in accordance with, the terms of the PPA, including the Ancillary Requirements, and O&M Contracts
- Ensure that the Plants are designed, procured and built in compliance with the Project Contracts and with the specified quality as requested under the related contracts
- Organize with the EPC Co an EPC Engineer Contract kick off meeting prior to the commencement of the works
- Ensure ALL site construction changes are appropriately reviewed and reported to the team and other Contractors (as applicable) and that agreed change processes are followed
- Ensure that the project and/or contractors follow a change control process for any design changes
- Maintain up-to-date Change Log register and work with the Quality Manager to make sure that the Change Management Plan and Document Control Flowchart are followed
- Identify and manage project interfaces between key contracts including external interfaces as necessary
- Define and implement a system (tools) for the management of the interfaces and changes; prepare, implement and monitor the Interface and Change management plans
- Ownership of the Interface Log register make sure the points discussed between the different Contractors about the Interface Responsibilities are included and tracked on to this Interface Log register when provided by the Package Managers
- Maintain the interface log, the interface matrix and any interface documents; ensure agreement from all contractors and all stakeholders on all interfaces.
- Manage and coordinate interfaces with the project team, contractors and escalate any issues to the Package Managers, Risk Planning and Quality Manager
- Ensure the dissemination of the interface information and initiate any change management process required by the resolution/clarification of an interface.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master's degree in Engineering, with a preference for electrical or I&C/IT engineering.
- 10 years of experience in engineering, construction and commissioning in the energy sector in South Africa
- O&M/Asset Management experience will be advantageous
- Construction management skills Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, HSE, Risks
- Contract negotiation and contract management experience (EPC, Owner's Engineer, Technical Advisor...)
- Expertise in I&C, SCADA/DCS, EMS and telecommunication
- Strong experience managing the procurement, engineering and construction of complex, multidisciplinary power generation projects including, BESS and renewable energy technologies (PV, windpower, or Concentrated Solar Power)
- Strong knowledge of technical and commercial terms, claim management etc
- Strong leadership and demonstrated ability to manage people from all types of fields of expertise
- Strong Project Management competences
- Working knowledge or MS Project and/ or Primavera
- Experience constructing projects for Eskom will be advantageous
- Fluent in English is mandatory, French as a plus
- Willing to regular travel to Avondale and Dassiesridge construction sites and across South Africa