Why Choose a Career in the Renewable Energy Sector?
The renewable energy sector is growing rapidly and has become a vital part of the global economy. The need for renewable energy has increased in recent years due to the impact of climate change, which has prompted the world to shift away from fossil fuels. To date, over 70 countries, including the world’s biggest polluters, have set ‘Net Zero’ targets which aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to as close to zero as possible. This shift has created new renewable energy job opportunities for young people, but why should you pursue a career in this sector?
Benefits of Pursuing a Career in Renewable Energy
In short, there are many attractive reasons to pursue a career in renewable energy. These benefits do not only apply to recent graduates but also to those who are currently working in other sectors and may be looking for a change.
- Contributing to a Sustainable Future: Pursuing a career in renewable energy allows you to contribute to a sustainable future and make a positive impact on the environment.
- Innovation: The renewable energy sector is constantly evolving, which means there are always opportunities to work on new and innovative projects.
- Competitive Salaries: As the demand for renewable energy grows, so do the salaries in the industry. Many renewable energy jobs offer competitive salaries and benefits packages.
- Career advancement: the majority of renewable energy jobs are done so on a contract basis, allowing workers to learn new skills from each site and project. This consistent upskilling could result in quicker career development and advancement.
Growth and Potential of the Renewable Energy Sector
The renewable energy sector has experienced tremendous growth in recent years, with a market value of 1.1 trillion USD in 2022, which is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.9% from 2023 to 2030. The 2021 Global Energy Review released by the International Energy Agency stated that the renewable energy sector’s growth was largely immune to the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, with the Net Zero initiatives in place around the world, this sector is receiving substantial investments from both the government and the businesses involved in order to support the growth needed to meet these targets. The industry is continuing to back the global initiative to fight climate change and decrease our dependence on limited resources. According to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), renewable energy global capacity increased almost four times over from 2000 to 2020. The agency also predicts that renewable energy will make up 90% of new power capacity additions by 2030. The expected growth in the coming years will see an increase in job opportunities.
Programs and Initiatives for Graduates wanting to Pursue Renewable Energy Careers
There are many programs and initiatives aimed at attracting younger generations to the renewable energy sector. Some of these include:
- Internships & apprenticeships: Many renewable energy companies offer internships to university students and recent graduates. These internships provide valuable hands-on experience and can lead to job opportunities.
- Scholarships: There are many scholarships available for students interested in pursuing a career in renewable energy. These scholarships can help to offset the cost of education and make it more accessible.
- Training Programs: Many renewable energy companies offer training programs for young people interested in entering the industry. These programs provide the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in the renewable energy sector.
Work with EarthStream
EarthStream brings together skilled professionals and those new to the industry to take on exciting and challenging jobs in the renewable energy sector worldwide.
With a surge in sustainable power investment, infrastructure, and technology by governments and businesses, your opportunities for career growth are limitless. Our in-depth knowledge and worldwide connections allow us to not just understand but also address your challenges effectively.
Speak to one of our experts today.